Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Cost Per Wear

Cost Per Wear is a formula used to determine the actual value of a piece of clothing. I think if you use this formula instead of looking only at the price tag, you could really end up saving money in the long run. 


This example truly happened to me this week (I finished two classes in a row at the gym and then a woman comes up to me and says "did you know there's a tiny hole in the bum of your pants?"). So I bought a pair of gym pants about 4 weeks ago at $30. I wore them probably 6 times. $30/6 wears = a cost per wear of $5. I also have a pair of lululemon pants that I bought for $100. I've had them since November, they are still in perfect condition and I wear them at least twice a week. That is approximately 42 wears so far, and I expect them to hold up for a long time. To date their cost per wear is $2.38 and that number will keep decreasing the more use I get out them.


I would definitely recommend investing in pieces that would like to last a long time and that are classic pieces to your wardrobe (e.g. blazers, jeans, dress pants, blouses, etc.). Do not spend a lot of money on pieces that are trendy and won't be in style the next season (maxi dresses, shoulder padded jackets, etc).   

No comments:

Post a Comment