Monday, April 12, 2010

Canadian Fashion - The Blanket Coat



I am currently reading a book called "Fashion: A Canadian Perspective", and have learned some very interesting facts.


Did you know that the biggest contribution to fashion made by Canada and Canadian designers is the Blanket Coat?


The first written mention of the blanket coat is documented in 1644, and they became a hot commodity during the fur trade. However, the biggest influence of the blanket coat was snowshoeing (yes, I must mention some sort of shoe in all of my posts). Snowshoeing was the country golf club of the mid-late 1800's. Only the finest clubs had their own pattern for their blanket coats, and were sold at premium prices to their members and high-rolling fans.

This is a photo of the Montreal Snow Shoe Club in 1877.
Modern takes of the blanket coat are still seen on runways internationally today, an example in the first photo taken from fall 2009 collections.

4 comments:

  1. Hello:

    Fascinating.

    I thought you might be interested in my upcoming book, FUR, FORTUNE, AND EMPIRE: THE EPIC HISTORY OF THE FUR TRADE IN AMERICA (W. W. Norton, July 2010). In working on the book, I didn't run across any information about the Blanket Coat, unfortunately. A video that gives an overview of my book can be found on YouTube at,

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSNNoeUf4bA

    You can also find out more about the book at my website: www.ericjaydolin.com.

    Please share the links to my video and website with others who might be interested in the book.

    Thanks for your time.

    Eric Jay Dolin
    www.ericjaydolin.com

    ReplyDelete